OMG, a NEW Post!Posted: May 8, 2011
Wait…what is this? A new post?! FROM ME?!? I know, I know…I’ve been a lazy newlywed, forgetting to post and forgetting to work on ANYTHING creative since coming back from my honeymoon. I had a little Create-a-Thon challenge with two super cool ladies this weekend; we were each to do SOMETHING creative over the weekend and then send each other photographs of what we ended up with. I came up with the collage you see here and had a TON of fun making it. I bought a really cool book about image transfers on Friday and was terribly, achingly inspired to create something. I own a zillion clip art books because Barnes and Noble puts them on killer sale every so often, so I printed up a few and got to work this evening creating my first transfer, using packing tape, sandpaper, and water. SO EASY! The iris you see in the collage is one from an old botanical illustration from the 1800s. Below are all the steps I took to make the collage:
- Paint canvas with acrylic paint
- Glue sequins on canvas.
- Glue jewelry finding on canvas.
- Glue rocks on bottom of canvas.
- Create image transfer on packing tape.
- Adhere image to canvas using soft acrylic gel.
- Paint over image with very fine wash of acrylic colors.
- Paint over fine wash of acrylic colors with glossy polymer gel to make the iris stand out.
- Paint over iris one last time with puffy T-shirt paint.
It sounds like a lot of steps, but none of them are terribly painful, and all of them are wonderfully fun! I’m looking forward to getting back to my art room again this week.